• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Feel like I cant breath

B

breath567

Sometimes at night I wake up feeling like I cant breath. Sometimes it gets so bad I actually have to sit up in bed just to take a deep breath, and then for a while after, my chest feels like I've been holding my breath for a long time. I dont have asthma or anything. Also, it seems to come and go. There will be times when its like that for nights on end, sometimes for a week or more, and then times where it doesnt happen for weeks. Its worst at night but it can happen during the day, especially if I'm laying down or in some kind of slouched position.

This used to not happen when I was little. I'd say it started happening around the start of college, maybe even late high school but I cant say for sure. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Do you think its something I should be worried about? Since its so off and on I've always just kind of brushed it off, but it all honesty it scares me a little that it happens. I dont know if I actually stop breathing and thats why my chest feels tight, or if I just breath very shallow, what if one of these days I'm really tired when it happens and I dont wake up?

Oh, additional information: I dont take drugs very often, I'd say something here and there once every few months, so I dont think it has anything to do with that. I also cant seem to track it to particular stressful times or anything. It just seems to be totally random and come and go on its own.

I would check with a doctor and see if maybe you have bronchitis or have developed athsma even heavy allergies could cause this, do you smoke cigarettes? what else do you have in your medical history? are you overweight? these could all be causes to your particular situation? Respond with a little more detailed info and sign up for an account, you will be much more likely to recieve considerate answers
B

Sometimes at night I wake up feeling like I cant breath. Sometimes it gets so bad I actually have to sit up in bed just to take a deep breath, and then for a while after, my chest feels like I've been holding my breath for a long time.

Maybe you have. If you don't have heartburn, or feel pain like someone kicked you in the chest, sleep apnea is a possibility. To catch your breath faster next time, when you sit up, try raising your arms straight up above your head and breathing in.

It sounds like it might be sleep apnea to me. What is your height and weight?

You want to catch this early, as it can cause considerable cardiovascular problems if not addressed quickly.

Your diaphragm goes into a rest consciously, but then it does autonomically continue to allow oxygen in your system. it is the actual movement of the conscious breathing that makes you feel as it has shut down.
If you get a spray from the chemist-as per asthmatic-to use those times you feel panic as if you can't breath, it may assist you.
Also, your breathing may need correction, as throughout our life, we tend to hold our breath without knowing at times of enxiety (anticipation or unconsious enxiety), and we go into automatic at times holding it out of repetition over our life.
There is a Russian method of breath correction "Beauteko" I think it is called, where they train you to correct it, since emotions when they are suppressed-tend to suppress breathing also.

in response to http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=451641

Thanks for everyones responses. To answer a few questions: I dont smoke, I'm not overweight at all, I'm actually pretty small, and I dont know if age matters but I am in my early 20s.

Thank you everyone for the tips. I'll be sure to have it checked out as soon as I can. Sleep apnea has crossed my mind but I never knew that could cause more serious issues. I'm actually a little worried now :\

it might be panic attacks. i've had panic attacks where the physical symptoms feel very very real, but it's actually just my body's adrenaline-soaked fight-or-flight response.

you should get checked for the apnea/asthma stuff first though, to rule those out.